Search This Blog

Friday 18 June 2010

Hunter XL266 Cwm Penmachno

Hunter XL266 left R.A.F.Valley on the 17th of may 1971 for a training flight over north Wales, the plane was flying at low altitude over Cwm Penmachno at 220 knots in a narrowing valley that ends at the cliffs of Blaen-Y-Cwm unknown to the crew a 40 knot tailwind which would have not shown on the airspeed indicator meant the plane was too fast for the turn and could not get enough power on to avoid the ridge
sadly both crew were lost !.
On the ridge there is a scar very visible from the foot of the valley that must be the crash site but i could find no aircraft remains !.
Crew =
F/Lt John Loftus
F/Lt John Duckworth

6 comments:

rlrna said...

Thanks for this. My father was the pilot concerned but I have very little information about the accident. Any more information appreciated

matt zx said...

I am so sorry to not get back to you sooner if you wish i will drop any details i can to you mail me on
xjboy550@yahoo.co.uk
and if i can be of any help i will be !!
sorry again!

matt zx said...

Matt
Are you absolutely sure of the details you post re this? What is your source. Flt Lt Tim Mermagen (my late Godfather) was indeed lost in a flight from RAF Valley, but this was on April 22nd 1965. He was piloting a Gnat at the time.
regards
Simon Culmer

matt zx said...

Simon Thank you for pointing this out the information was transposed from old reports and your late god fathers name should not have been on this post! I am very sorry and have changed the post .

Unknown said...

Matt, thanks for updating it so quickly, you had me checking old newspaper cuttings as I thought my memory was failing me
Simon

matt zx said...

No Simon just my rather chaotic filing, again sorry for the mess up on the post ,
I stupidly cross referenced notes as I was hoping to visit the area some time soon and take some pictures of the benches I believe are by the chapel to Flt Mermagen and relate this story of a very brave man on the site !
I hope this is OK ?
mat